Wednesday 22 August 2012

July14, 2010, Multiply, Its raining in the garden.

Jul 14, '10 8:32 PM
for everyone


This is more like November than July. It has rained and rained and rained all day. And not the sultry humid sort of rain that comes in summer. No, this has been a  fill blown torrent of freezing rain accompanied by the biting,  icy wind. Horrible, just horrible, especially horrible because today was the day I had planned to go to the garden center which is usually such a pleasant experience, today it was a cold, wet and miserable experience.  I bought a couple of new fish for my pond and, some compost and a few plants.

Oh and the irony, yesterday was warm and sunny and I noticed how much the water level in my pond had gone down. I spent a while giving the pond a bit of a clean and topping it up with lots of fresh clean water. Tonight, amidst lashing rain and under torchlight, I stood in the garden scooping out bucketfuls of water from that same pond because I was so afraid it would overflow during the night and my poor little fishes would be swept out into the drains.

BUT.............they do say every cloud has a silver lining, maybe it was they weather, maybe it was genuine end of stock, what ever the reason, I picked up plants at crazy low prices. When the rain stops, if it ever does, I'll plant them out.
7 Comments
Add a Comment
   

veroniquemariquita wrote on Jul 15, '10
Sounds like your weather is similar to ours.... either "feast or famine". In just a couple of days we went from being parched and dry with creeks that had stopped running, to being almost at flood stage. Our gauge shows 4 inches... quite a downpour for mid-summer.

brendainmad wrote on Jul 15, '10
You can send us some cool weather, although I must say it wasn't so hard to sleep last night as other nights. Looking forward to seeing your new plants.

mitchylr wrote on Jul 15, '10
It's been like that here, too Loretta. The last week there has been heavy, torrential rain almost every day. This afternoon is forecast to be even worse, but finally clearing by the weekend.

starfishred wrote on Jul 14, '10
and here we are so hot it is like the Gobi desert strang huh

bennett1 wrote on Jul 14, '10
I hope it cheers you up if you need cheering. I liked what you said on my blog. xx

bennett1 wrote on Jul 14, '10
Your fishes made me think of this:

veryfrank wrote on Jul 14, '10
Sorry to hear that your day was a wash out. At least you found some nice plants. It certainly sounds like some torrential rains. Have you considered fitting a sheet of screening over the pond when it is raining or during the falling leaves season?

Right about now I'd like some cold rain. Our heat and humidity are stifling and the ground is dry and near parched.

No comments:

Post a Comment