Wednesday 22 August 2012

May18 2011, Garden no 6






Garden 2011 no 6
Progress on the fence
The whole business of getting rid of the hedge and replacing it with a fence is progressing very slowly. My daughters & partners are helping, but coordinating a time when they are not working, when they have use of the car and when its not raining has taken a while. But, at last, progress is being made. One daughter turned up tonight with her partner, some good strong towing rope and the jeep. The idea was to clear out the rest of the hedge by tying ropes around the base and pulling it out with the jeep. Once the hedge is away the other daughter will bring her partner and actually finish building the fence.
Some of those privet bushes turned out to be far from dead or dying, They are deeply embedded into the ground and even the jeep couldn’t pull them out. I’m left with most of the hedge out and three very stubborn and very deep stumps that will not budge. Not quite sure what the next plan is but I’m sure they will think of something.
Isn’t it strange how an uprooted hedge takes up so much more space than it did when it was growing, my next priority will be to find a way of disposing of this mountain of privet.

I’ve got a feeling my garden is going to spend most of this year as a work in progress, but by next year I should have a garden that’s easier to maintain. Painting small fences every couple of years has to be easier than fighting with privet every few weeks.
And this is my new gardening tool. The idea is that you push it into the ground and turn rather than having to actually 'dig' the garden. I'm hoping this makes it easier for me to look after my veggi patch myself. Once I get the vegi patch, I don't have it yet. 


14 Comments
Add a Comment
   

veroniquemariquita wrote on May 20, '11
Dig down and cut the roots up close to the paths, and just leave the part that is under the paths.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 19, '11
oh yeah, roots can be a problem
yeah but unfortunately I've another 'problem', it looks as if these bushes have been in the ground so long the roots have grown a long way under the path. the problem is if I damage the path but getting the roots out the council will send me a huge bill for repairs. We need to find a solution that doesn't damage the path.

acousticeagle wrote on May 19, '11
oh yeah, roots can be a problem. My dad had a tree removed last year and tried and tried himself to dislodge the root stump but had to give up and call a stump removalist.

I'm impressed at how you have every part of your garden under your eye and all planning and planting is in the works. It will all just slot into place when the foundations are sorted, and you're busy working on those.

That vege garden digger. Good weapon of choice!

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 19, '11
veryfrank said
Can it be mulched? We have places that rent small mulching machines.
what a good idea, I would have to pay someone to take it away so maybe hiring a 'mulcher' would be the answer. I think maybe some of it is too big to go through a machine but its certainly worth looking into. Thanks Frank

veryfrank wrote on May 19, '11
I really can't think of another way to get rid of all that cut down hedge :-)
Can it be mulched? We have places that rent small mulching machines. There are also private and city services that will much and recycle garden debris.

greenwytch wrote on May 19, '11
that is quite an ambitious project! i am sure the end result will be worth it all. good luck!

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 19, '11
Fireworks at Loretta's! lol
yay lets partay, fireworks and a huge bonfire cos I really can't think of another way to get rid of all that cut down hedge :-)

brendainmad wrote on May 19, '11
Glad you got enough blue paint to do you for a while. I can't think of anything short of digging or dynamiting to get those roots out of the ground. Fireworks at Loretta's! lol

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 19, '11
bennett1 said
I hope you are keeping the fence blue. I have always loved your blue fence.
of course, in fact in preparation for the garden maintenance this year I already have three pots of blue fence paint, two pots of white masonry paint and one pot of blue gloss to do the doors with. That is all on my list of 'to do' for the summer. Oh.............and in case you're wondering why so much paint.........my local DIY shop is part of a chain and they have gone into receivership! I bought the remaining stock before they close, sign of the times I suppose

bennett1 wrote on May 18, '11
I hope you are keeping the fence blue. I have always loved your blue fence.

forgetmenot525 wrote on May 18, '11
Gardens are always a work in progress. But would we want it any other way? If it were all finished, there would be nothing to do. lol
great way of looking at things.............yes of course you are right, I'm just getting a bit fed up of all the chaos. I will feel much happier when all the heavy work is finished and I can get on and do things myself. its so frustrating having to wait for other people to do things.

veroniquemariquita wrote on May 18, '11
Gardens are always a work in progress. But would we want it any other way? If it were all finished, there would be nothing to do. lol

rabbitfriendhere wrote on May 18, '11
Well best wishes with those roots and the veggie patch once you've got it going! Those weeding tools are pretty handy! I might invest in one this year as well, as sure stops a lot of that kneeling and bending!
:)

nemo4sun wrote on May 18, '11
got your work cut out for you

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment