Wednesday 22 August 2012

Oct 8, 2009, Multiply, Rowan Jelly




I've just spent hours and hours taking tiny stalks from tiny Rowan berries, if I had known it was going to take this long I would never have started; hence the very late/early hour and I'm not in bed. The plan was Rowan Berry Jelly, I've heard it's supposed to be full of vitamin C and have a pleasant sharp taste. I do have a recipe that involves jelly bags and hours worth of straining and dripping but if any one has any other tried and tested recipes I'd  really like to share them. Rowan Jelly is not something I've attempted before. This year there seems to be so many Rowan Trees bowing under the weight of hundreds of ripe red fruit I couldn't resist trying to do something with them. All advice gratefully received, oh and in case you're wondering, now they are stalked and washed they weigh 5 1/2 pounds so that's the amount I shall be working with. 
3 Comments
Add a Comment
   

mitchylr wrote on Oct 9, '09
Sorry, no help here I'm afraid....except to help try out the finished product, of course!! LOL.

brendainmad wrote on Oct 9, '09
This is a berry that I don't know unless I know it by another name. However, I'd probably check the internet for recipes. You're so lucky to be able to find berries to pick and use.

calum33 wrote on Oct 8, '09
Malcolm: you will need a Piper not just Riper Red fruit. When my Ede passed away in 2007, I had a piper play The Rowan Tree at her funeral.

Just watch this lot, for now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5R3j4km_lE

No comments:

Post a Comment