Tuesday 21 August 2012

Nov 4, 2008, Multiply, Apple Chutney


 
 APPLE CHUTNEY
Again I find myself writing about ‘cooking’. This time it’s because I used the little tiny red apples that my granddaughter and I collected from under the old apple tree in my garden. I used to make jams, pickles and chutneys all the time when my girls were little, maybe I’ll start doing it again more often now that the grandchildren are big enough to help.

Probably one of the most popular varieties of homemade chutney. Apple chutney has a tangy, sweet flavour which is perfect with cheeses such as cheddar, cheshire or white stilton.

Ingredients
225g/8oz onions, chopped
900g/2lb apples, cored and chopped
110g/4oz sultanas, raisins or chopped dates
15g/½oz ground coriander
15g/½oz paprika
15g/½oz mixed spice
15g/½oz salt
340g/12oz granulated sugar (fairtrade of course)
750ml/1¼ pints malt vinegar
Method
1. Put all the ingredients into a preserving pan. Slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.

2. Simmer for 1½-2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
3. When it is very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
4. Turn into sterilised jars, seal and cool.
5. Store in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months before eating
6 Comments
Add a Comment
   

bennett1 wrote on Jan 8, '09
Beautifully illustrated too.

bennett1 wrote on Jan 8, '09
This is great. I love chutney - happened to see this on your site when I was looking around. It is hard to get here in the midwest US, so now I know how to make my own. Thanks.

tintalasia wrote on Nov 7, '08
Loretta, I ambled over here from User Support to see for myself what you were talking about. I'm so glad I did. I love this recipe and I see you have so much else on your site : ) Herbs are a passion of mine. Mind if I look around a little?

agnes128 wrote on Nov 6, '08
How nice! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

greenwytch wrote on Nov 5, '08
yum! thanks for the recipe!

brendainmad wrote on Nov 5, '08
I love chutneys. I still have some that I made a couple of years ago - just a bit in the fridge, but it's still delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment