Wednesday 22 August 2012

Feb 20 2012, Garden no 4



Garden 2012 no 4

I’ve spend most of the weekend suffering the cold, runny nose, shivers and back to bed, but before I felt really bad, I manage to spend a couple of hours in the garden on Friday.

I spent quite a long time rearranging and moving my herbs. The reason for this was to make more space for the vegetable plot. I’ve not dug the extra yet but at least I can see what space I have. It may not look like much but its surprising how little space you need to plant a couple of rows of veg. Next to go in will be carrot and beetroot seeds which means I better get a move on and dig out the extension to the vegetable plot.
I’ve acquired another set of native hedgerow bushes and made spaces for some of them just inside the fence. I planted Holly, Hawthorn and dog rose. My daughter also took some, she has a much bigger garden than mine. I was a bit worried about over planting the hedge until I looked at one of the natural hedges in the nature trail. The old hedgerow seem to have little saplings growing every where, but only the best of them survive and I figured if this is the way nature does it then I guess its good enough for me.
Once the saplings were in I scattered a box of assorted wild flower seeds among them and gently smoothed over a thin layer of soil. The only other seeds I sowed that day were some spinach seeds. I now have lettuce, radish and spinach seeds planted in tubs at the side of the vegetable garden.

I’ve never forced rhubarb before and wanted to check how it was doing, when I lifted the pot off the top I saw the tiny bud of pink there. Mt rhubarb has never started this early before so I’m assuming I’ve done the right thing. I’m not too worried about the rhubarb, even if the forcing method doesn’t work this plants seems virtually indestructible which means I’ll get stalks from it later in the year. I know rhubarb leaves are really poisonous, but I’ve always composted them, now I’m wondering if I should allow them to compost because the compost is being used to grow food. I’ve never read that you can’t compost rhubarb leaves, but now I’m not sure,  does any one know??
The last thing I did was to empty out the compost bin. It looks as if I’ve allowed it to dry out too much but on the whole, it’s a good pile of earth I can return to the garden. I need to sieve it, there are some bits of twig, egg shells and cardboard that didn’t rot down, but among all that there is also a good amount that is usable.  I have a system now, I have two compost bins; I use one all year for one year, then let it stand for another year, and empty it at the start of the third year. While the first one is standing, the second one is in use. When the first one is emptied (now) the second one is left to stand for a year and the first one is used again. This time next year I shall empty out the second one and start all over again.

21 Comments
Add a Comment
   

nemo4sun wrote on Feb 20
a friend of mine growing up had rhubarb growing all over his back yard

:)

catherinearmant wrote on Feb 20
This looks so promising dear Loretta !

Take care.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
mitchylr said
If anyone would know, it's Frank :-))
yeah..............thats what I thought :-)

mitchylr wrote on Feb 20
It's coming along nicely. I see Frank has provided the answer you needed re the rhubarb leaves. If anyone would know, it's Frank :-))

greenwytch wrote on Feb 20
i *think* i have seen the bare root plants for sale over here in the garden centers...but i'll check the next time i head out there and i will let you know. ; )

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
i have several friends over here who have told me the same. i do believe i would like it, i like that combination of flavors.
if you can't buy it there I could sent you a plant, its very hardy and would survive the journey easy..........if I'm allowed to send plants to you?? You need to plant the roots.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
I didn't know rhubarb leaves were poisonous, but I love rhubarb, especially in crumble.
rhubarb grows in all the fields and every one knows not to accidentally chop some of the leaves into the pan.......they really are very poisonous.

greenwytch wrote on Feb 20
i have several friends over here who have told me the same. i do believe i would like it, i like that combination of flavors.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
well done, Loretta! i have never grown rhubarb, so i don't know the first thing about it. looks like you are getting well-organized and things are moving right along. feel better soon, dear. XO
Deb... you haven't lived if you haven't had rhubarb.................its delicious, a combination of sharp and sweet taste, I highly recommend it.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
You are brilliant, an inspiration all year round!
Thanks Emma, nice to see you again, ..............hope you are well.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
bennett1 said
How lovely to be able to garden this time of year! Yesterday I had my first meal with the basil plants I put out 3 weeks ago. I was delighted.

Rhubarb is a great plant - virtually impossible to kill. This might be a good time to sow the columbine seeds.
Lucky you cooking with basil already. I love basil, my basil last year wasn't too good because I started them off indoors and then put them outside.I thought they would be OK but they weren't so this year I decided to grow it on windowsill. My windowsills are still full of geranium plants that I bought in from the garden last year. They smell horrible but they have flowered all winter. They are very susceptible to frost which is why I'm keeping them in a bit longer, just to make sure they will be OK outside, I've been told they will protect the veg if planted around the veg garden. As soon as the geraniums are back in the garden the windowsills will fill up with basil and rocket, rocket is something else that didn't do so well outside last year. The year before last I grew lots of rocket and basil on the windowsills and they did great, which is why I'm going back to that plan this year. And yes.............I love rhubarb too, its grown commercially around here, we seem to have just the right soil for growing rhubarb.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
veryfrank said
I know a little about a lot of things, but font - no. :-} Mostly I have good reference books.
then I'm very grateful you have the time and inclination to use the reference books :-) thank you

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20, edited on Feb 20
djdx said
Well done! I am surprised that you can sow so early at your latitude.
This year has been quite mild and I've only planted the things the books/ internet tell you to plant. So far I planted broad beans and garlic in November and onions, shallots and more broad beans in February. The seeds I planted radish, lettuce and spinach all said on the packet feb/ march onwards. I've never tried to plant all year round before but I know some people do it so I read up on what to plant when and gave it a go. Only time will tell if I am too early. Saturday when I was feeling quite awful with the cold i heard on the weather forecast that we would have another really cold few days with temperatures down to -6, that really worried me so I actually got out of my bed and went out to the garden and covered all the new seeds with black plastic in an attempt to keep the soil from freezing. seems I did the right thing because the next day the pond was frozen. Maybe I did plant too early but I really want to try to get fresh food crops for as long as possible and if I get it wrong this year...........I'll readjust the planting scheduled next year.

veryfrank wrote on Feb 20
.I begin to think you are the font of all knowledge :-)
I know a little about a lot of things, but font - no. :-} Mostly I have good reference books.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Feb 20
veryfrank said
Yes you can. The leaves are high in Oxalic Acid and are therefore very toxic to humans and animals but, in the compost pile, the 8 carbon long acid is either broken down into smaller molecules or simply diluted and Ph balanced. So, it is not toxic in the soil.
thank you Frank...............I begin to think you are the font of all knowledge :-)
hope you are well

djdx wrote on Feb 20
Well done! I am surprised that you can sow so early at your latitude. I just now started some tomatoes in the house.
I always compost the rhubarb leaves. I don't think it is poison like round-up, it's just an element that we don't eat--maybe oxalic acid or something like that. Ah, I see veryfrank has already replied to that effect.

bennett1 wrote on Feb 20
How lovely to be able to garden this time of year! Yesterday I had my first meal with the basil plants I put out 3 weeks ago. I was delighted.

Rhubarb is a great plant - virtually impossible to kill. This might be a good time to sow the columbine seeds.

veryfrank wrote on Feb 20
I’ve never read that you can’t compost rhubarb leaves, but now I’m not sure, does any one know??
Yes you can. The leaves are high in Oxalic Acid and are therefore very toxic to humans and animals but, in the compost pile, the 8 carbon long acid is either broken down into smaller molecules or simply diluted and Ph balanced. So, it is not toxic in the soil.

brendainmad wrote on Feb 20
I didn't know rhubarb leaves were poisonous, but I love rhubarb, especially in crumble.

hedgewitch9 wrote on Feb 20
You are brilliant, an inspiration all year round!

greenwytch wrote on Feb 20
well done, Loretta! i have never grown rhubarb, so i don't know the first thing about it. looks like you are getting well-organized and things are moving right along. feel better soon, dear. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment