Wednesday 22 August 2012

Jan 22 2012 Garden no1



Garden 2012 no 1

Only January 22 and I’ve just spend most of the day in the garden. I can’t think of another year when I started so early. My biggest fear is that we will have severe march weather and lose every thing that is budding so early.
There’s not that much I could do, even though it was dry sunny and not too cold, it’s too early in the year to do very much. I set up the 3 potato barrels and the strawberry planter in a new position where I hope they will get more sun.

I’m not replacing my strawberries this your so it was just a case of moving the tub and then next time I’m out there I can tidy them up and make sure they look OK for this year. The potato barrels are full of compost that is fed, watered and waiting to accept the seed potatoes. The seed potatoes themselves are chitting away on a shelf. I’ll get those planted as early as I can.
I've filled fed and watered two big green tubs and three grey tubs ready to plant more veg next month. I've not quite decided what i'll be growing in these tubs but when I do decide.......they are ready.

All the good allotment books seem to think you can start to force the rhubarb in January by covering the crowns with pots. I’m not sure this will work, some of the crowns barely show above the earth, and the stones on top of the pots are my idea, an attempt to keep them in my garden next time the high winds come. It will be nice if it does work, if not I’ll just lat nature do its own thing next year.
It’s a bit too early to do very much with the herbs. They should all come up again this year and they do need a little weeding, tidying and feeding, but for now I’ve just collected them all together and positioned them in the garden in the position I think is best for them.
I obviously did the right thing  in November last year when I planted my runner beans and garlic. They are both shooting now and if I get to harvest them early enough I may even get two crops this year.
I planted bulbs in between the lavender and heather late last year and they are all shooting as well, I should get a good show of colour later in the year.
And lastly, I salvaged three little decorative bird feeders that were being thrown away, they are looking good around my pond and last time I looked out of the window, there was a little robin sitting on one of them.


18 Comments
Add a Comment
   

bernardv wrote on Jan 23
I'm an absolutely dreadful gardener, watching the ivy grow up my walls is about my limit I'm afraid. My bluebells are popping up remarkably early this year though I must admit.

catherinearmant wrote on Jan 23
Nice, dear Loretta, nice Gardening in the making, hmmm ... doesn't it feel so good that Spring is around the corner again ?

reneenay wrote on Jan 22
all looks wonderful-hope all continue to grow well for you

nemo4sun wrote on Jan 22
looking good

:)

aaranaardvark wrote on Jan 22
It appears you have got everything admirably under control loretta, I share your concerns about potential frost damage and hope that the remainder of the winter will be kind to us and send us some more rain.

greenwytch wrote on Jan 22
thanks again for the inspiration. ♥

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 22
just wanted to let you know, i just posted some garden pics. ; )
I knoooooow...........soooooooooooooo excited I rushed right over there, Thanks Deb

greenwytch wrote on Jan 22
just wanted to let you know, i just posted some garden pics. ; )

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 22
I can't remember EVER being out in the garden at this time of year before, either in England or in Scotland.

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 22
bennett1 said
Just never ceases to amaze me how mild your winters are for how far north you are. The Gulf Stream is a true gift to you. I think the only thing that is green in my garden is the winter thyme. How wonderful for you to be able to garden this early.
This is the mildest winter we have had in years..............last year was terrible if you remember, we had 6 or more weeks of snow, ice and minus 10 temperatures. The year before was quite bad but nothing like as bad as last year. The climate seems so mixed up now you never know what to expect. But yes..................so far this year it has been very mild. I was really dreading having to live through another winter like last year seems I had nothing to worry about for which I am very thankful.

bennett1 wrote on Jan 22
Just never ceases to amaze me how mild your winters are for how far north you are. The Gulf Stream is a true gift to you. I think the only thing that is green in my garden is the winter thyme. How wonderful for you to be able to garden this early.

rabbitfriendhere wrote on Jan 22
I love the birdfeeders you rescued from the garden. How adorable that you've seen the first bird on one of them. We here in Canada look longingly at your garden preparation.
:-)

brendainmad wrote on Jan 22
Those bird feeders are cute.

greenwytch wrote on Jan 22
ok, you've talked me into it. ; )

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 22
i get so much inspiration from your garden blogs, Loretta. i really should start posting some of these, too. thank you. ; )
oh I wish you would, I love seeing your garden.

greenwytch wrote on Jan 22
i get so much inspiration from your garden blogs, Loretta. i really should start posting some of these, too. thank you. ; )

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jan 22
Such a happy place, your garden. Can I bring a chair, some tea and sit a spell?
you can but I suggest you leave it a couple of months.............the pictures are deceiving, the temperature was only about 3 degrees.

artprevails wrote on Jan 22
Such a happy place, your garden. Can I bring a chair, some tea and sit a spell?

No comments:

Post a Comment