Wednesday 22 August 2012

Nov 17 2011, Garden no 17



I know I said I closed the garden down for winter………..but then I thought again. Even though I’ve not had that much success, I am determined to grow as much food as I can. So…. After consulting the ‘gardening month by month books’……..I realised there are some things you can plant in November. Some things are hardy enough to withstand the winter ground frosts and ice, providing you plant them in November before the winter begins in earnest. I’ve had a couple of days off, the weather was damp, with a drizzle of rain, but it wasn’t too cold so out I went. The ground was wet and within a short time I was covered in mud. But mud is good, it’s soft and easy to dig.
I’ve enlarged the vegetable plot, and following the advice in my books, planted broad beans, garlic and shallots. At the other side of the plot I planted a few of the runners from the strawberry plants, not sure if they will come to any thing but its worth a try.
I enlarged he rhubarb plot, split the original rhubarb into two and brought two new roots of different varieties.

I didn’t realise there are so many varieties of rhubarb, I wish I knew what the original one was, that way I could do a taste comparison.
And just to make sure I wasn’t becoming too boring in my quest to grow food, I bought three packets of spring bulbs to plant in the new corner garden in between the heather and lavender.
Finally, my native shrubs arrived. I’ve been waiting for these, it’s a pack called ‘Wild Harvest’ and it comprises, Rowan Berry, Hawthorn, Blackthawn (sloe), Elderberry, Crab Apple, Plum Cherry, Hazel, Beech and Wild Rose. These are all native species and they all bare fruit or nuts that can be either eaten raw or made into jellies and preserves.
I realise some of these can grow into tall trees and my garden is small but; I’ve planted them around the edges of the garden just inside my new fence. My reasons are varied. I wanted to plant some of the native trees and shrubs that at disappearing from our hedgerows and woodland. I also wanted to replace the old privet I dug up earlier this year with native plants, and I wanted to be able to use the  ‘wild harvest’ these plants offer. These tiny plants will cause no problem for a couple of years, but they won’t offer me any fruit either. After that I am going to have to try to manage this hedgerow, I’ll need to coppice it to prevent it getting too big while at the same time trying to harvest the natural food…………..what a challenge, I don’t even know if this is possible. But; its going to be interesting and I’m looking forward to it. If I start looking for relevant books now, I should be knowledgeable enough in a couple of years when the plants are bigger.

And now……………I think that really is it for the winter, oh except….
More good news, I managed to catch one of the gold fish I put in the pond to eat the larvae, so that’s one that will over winter in the kitchen and not freeze in the pond.
10 Comments
Add a Comment
   

skeezicks1957 wrote on Nov 18, '11
I didn't keep up with my herb/flower garden this year very well and it is put to bed for the winter. Neat to see you planting fall stuff. I have not attempted that and will look forward to seeing what luck you have with it. I did do bulbs one year a few years back but must have either gotten bad ones or planted them upside down because nothing came up.

reneenay wrote on Nov 17, '11
looks like you have a great plan & layout. hope it all grows well for you

forelithe wrote on Nov 16, '11
You shall have to let us know if you can tell the rhubarbs apart by taste next spring !

catherinearmant wrote on Nov 16, '11
Excellent Garden strategy. Positively rewarding.

mitchylr wrote on Nov 16, '11
Good luck with all your winter plantings, but particularly with the 'Wild Harvest' plants.

artprevails wrote on Nov 16, '11
Good report, this was! I love hearing about it all. The native plant research continues and hats off to you for trying to keep the natives going. The flowers look lovely in their packets and the Champagne Rhubarb sounds festive! I envy your mud playing:)

nemo4sun wrote on Nov 16, '11
bravo

:)

tismek wrote on Nov 16, '11
Well done! My garden is STILL a complete mess... :o(

brendainmad wrote on Nov 16, '11
I didn't realise there were so many varities of rhubarb either. I think it grows almost wild. Alas, haven't found any in Spain and I love rhubarb crumble. Lots of luck with your garden. You can learn by doing.

greenwytch wrote on Nov 16, '11
*fingers crossed*......may all grow well, winter over happily and yield happily!

No comments:

Post a Comment