Thursday 30 August 2012

Garden 2012, no 17



Garden 20112 no 17

So here I am, now 17 days post surgery and at last beginning to feel more like my normal self. So much like my normal self that I’m getting very agitated about the state of my garden. I may be feeling better, but heavy gardening is out of the question. I spent about an hour and a half out there today, the weather was lovely and it felt so good to be back outside.


The first thing I did was check the pond. Its now covered in duck weed but that’s ok, the water underneath is crystal clear, I think the duck weed actually helps clean the water, it puts long thread like roots down into the water and seems to suck up all the impurities.
And to my utter delight, I found a tiny baby frog; it’s so young it still has its baby tadpole tail attached.

I’m worried about the state of the weeds. I’ve kept on top of it all year and now the combination of a couple of weeks neglect and excess rainfall has resulted in weed heaven. I’m afraid by the time I’m fit enough to weed the garden the weeds will have sent down those long roots that are impossible to get rid of. My tub of nasturtiums is completely overrun with weeds and grass. I think the only thing I can do with that tub is too empty it out, remove the weeds, feed the compost and get ready to start again next year. I’m waiting a little while before emptying it out because its producing a lot of seed ready for next year.

The grass was so long you could lose things in it; I did manage to cut the grass because I only have a little strip around the veg plot. It was long and wet and took forever to cut, but I managed. It needs another cut and the edges need doing but it looks better than it did.

I also cut all the dead flowers off the buddleia, that tree is only about 3 or 4 years old and its taking over all ready. If it gets any taller I won’t be able to reach to cut it so I guess next year it will have to be cut right back.

I found myself getting tired in the garden, and I came indoors to make the yoghurt. 

Todays harvest was Lettuce, spinach, beetroot, spring onions, a few nasturtium leaves and a little chocolate mint. The chocolate mint was cut right back before I went into hospital and already it’s covered in new growth. 

4 comments:

  1. Your grass sounds like a rug I have. I do lose things in it. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful to me as ever Loretta, I know it it is below your own exacting standards but to me the garden looks great. The little frog is one of its living products to compliment your fantastic harvest.

    My Buddleia is coming out this Autumn....it has gone mad this year so it has to go.
    I will attract butterflies and other insects with indigenous plants instead and am considering which native species to replace the buddleia.

    Even though you are feeling as if circumstances have caused you to get behindas i'm sure they have, from this side of the fence your garden looks as just as fabulous as ever. Its a credit to you Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... thanks Aaron.............I wish I had your confidence.......I tried to do a bit more out there today, I'm afraid of the wilderness overtaking me and never being able to regain control....now that's a scary thought

      Delete
    2. Sounds scary yeah, but from the pictures there's no sign of it actually happening :-)

      Delete