Wednesday 22 August 2012

Apil 12, 2010, Multiply, The Gardening Starts no 7







Gardening no 7

A quick update on the state of the indoor seedlings planted late Feb/ early March. My greatest success so far has to be the tomato plants.

I’ve already thinned them out and given some away. My greatest failure has to be the lovely red onions I planted. I made the mistake of re-potting them outside in tubs before that final bout of snow and ice; sadly I lost them all in the bad weather. I don’t even have any photos of them but I do intend to plant another lot of seeds, if I’m successful it will just mean I have to wait a little longer than anticipated before eating the first home grown onions.
The red peppers and red chilli all seem to be doing well.

(red peppers above)
I’m so glad I put them in different containers and on different window sills because at the moment I don’t think I could tell them apart.

(red chili above)
I don’t seem so successful with the lettuce, they are not thriving at all, they are straggly and rather sad looking but I’ve not given up on them. I still think the lettuce could turn out ok in the end.

Which is more than can be said for the rocket? I’m not sure what has gone wrong with the rocket but its slow growing and many of the seedlings seem to have died and come to nothing.
And………….here is the next lot, already started and looking good.


8 Comments
Add a Comment
   

nemo4sun wrote on Apr 13, '10
seedlings are so cute

:)

forgetmenot525 wrote on Apr 13, '10
djdx said
Your lettuce looks fine to me.
thanks for the reassurance, i'm hoping it will be ok and what is .... ''roquette''?? is it the same stuff we call rocket??

forgetmenot525 wrote on Apr 13, '10
You'll have tomatoes and chilli peppers for the whole family!
Thanks Brenda, I've already given small plants to my daughters and i suspect we will all be eating a lot of peppers and tomatoes in the summeror at least i hope we will.

brendainmad wrote on Apr 13, '10
You'll have tomatoes and chilli peppers for the whole family!

djdx wrote on Apr 13, '10
Your lettuce looks fine to me. To tell the difference between peppers and chilis you might have to bite the fruit. :-)))

I have roquette that has over-wintered in the greenhouse and self seeded, I think it is a "weed" in sunny climes.

secretcorners wrote on Apr 12, '10
Your lettuce looks normal; that is the way they start off. So don't worry over them. You are welcomed to visit my garden site at http://garden.secretcorners.net.

bennett1 wrote on Apr 12, '10
I love seedlings! I love it when they pop their little heads above the musky brown soil and then when they grow their first true leaves. I wish I could garden but the deer have made it all but impossible. So I enjoy watching others' gardens. I do grow herbs though, the deer leave them alone, and I want to plant catnip for Honey (my cat).

greenwytch wrote on Apr 12, '10
oh, don't they look wonderful! well done, Loretta!

No comments:

Post a Comment