Tuesday 21 August 2012

March 1, 2009, Multiply House Plants




Time for a New Kitchen no 5

I seem to have spent most of this last week painting, rubbing down, painting again and worrying about the toxic fumes filling my home, that’s when I’m not actually at my paid work. But after 3 or 4 coats and a gloss finish I can virtually see my face in,

I’ve decided to try to get this ‘toxicity’ problem into perspective. After all I have used 2 liters of high VOC content paint and I will eventually hang 4 or 5 rolls of vinyl covered wallpaper, a fairly modest amount compared to other decorating projects I suppose. As I can’t undo what is already done I’ve been looking at ways of neutralising the damaging effects of the materials I’ve used. I’ve been reading about the way plants, especially large broad leaf plants like rubber plants or cheese plants, actually act as natural air filters and eliminate pollutants from the air, they filter out toxins. I read that if you place two or three of these plants in an average sized room the levels of VOC’s can be reduced by as much as 50%-70%.
Sounds wonderful I thought, so this weekend a visit to the local garden center was a must. My kitchen is a long way from finished but already there are new plants busy filtering out all those nasty toxic VOC’s for me. The best plants for filtering out  VOC’s from the atmosphere are peace lilies, rubber plants, kentia palms and spider plants. Unfortunately I couldn’t see any of those but I’m sure the plants I did buy are almost as good. The other way I am actively tackling this problem is by a home made air-purifying spray. No more chemical ridden, pressurised, aerosol air freshener sprays for me. I am now using my own spray which doesn’t just mask the smelly fumes, it purifies the air by using natures own ingredients. I used a 50 / 50 base of water and alcohol (vodka), with a generous amount of eucalyptus and lemon pure essential oils, it smells divine and the smell lingers all day. Apparently the spray lasts a lot longer if it has an alcohol base and the reason for using vodka is, it’s a pretty pure alcohol and has no smell of its own. What ever the reasoning behind it ………..the end result is really nice.
My new sink and work surfaces arrive on Wednesday and a week or so after that the joiner is due to arrive and fit the whole lot in…………….looks like the kitchen is getting nearer.
9 Comments
Add a Comment
   

sandycaar wrote on Mar 4, '09
you're coming along great loretta,,i'm sure it will be a beautiful kitchen and that you'll have all your multiply friends over for a first meal cooked in your new kitchen when it's completed :) your plants are beautiful,,i love plants, used to have zillions,,but am down to 1 ivy now,,have to keep it in a closed door room,,my cat just loves to eat plants and dig in the dirt,,and some plants are poisonous to animals,,interesting sounding natural spray,,and you could drink some of the vodka if you're so inclined :) my sinuses don't like eucalyptus so i can't try your spray mix,,i only have one indoor cat and am constantly cleaning his litter box and spraying,,he doesn't like a dirty box either,,keep us informed on your progress and don't forget us when you're ready to prepare your first meal in that new kitchen,,angel hugs and love, sandy

pestep55 wrote on Mar 2, '09
Your own spray ? Great idea, thanks for the how-to. The kitchen is getting better and better /:-)

acousticeagle wrote on Mar 2, '09
This is all excellent. I will definitely keep it in mind about the plants. Actually, I had planned to buy myself a treat, an umbrella plant. They are great because it's kind of like having a small tree indoors. They look good too. I love indoor plants, and have forgotten that they are good air filters.

veroniquemariquita wrote on Mar 2, '09
Nice plants. Looks like an aralia and a fig. I love the big foliaged house plants. I had a schefflera that grew to ceiling height.

brendainmad wrote on Mar 2, '09
I've always had spider plants - the others are a bit big for my small flat. I was wondering how you were doing on your project this weekend. Thanks for posting your air freshener. I'll certainly try it.

starfishred wrote on Mar 1, '09
Lots of open windows and your plants looking good loretta!!!

ruraldiva wrote on Mar 1, '09
The air freshner sounds wonderful....I will try it. With all of these cats whew....I'd already stopped the aerosol stuff not good for them or us. Plants....what a wonderful idea. They look good. Keep on my friend, it will be devine.

veryfrank wrote on Mar 1, '09
looks like the kitchen is getting nearer.
That is great news. So glad that you are getting it done and have a new kitchen to look forward to.

dianahopeless wrote on Mar 1, '09
Very nice looking plants! And I am happy you are getting a kitchen make over. I am just getting ready to paint my cupboard doors. Luckily I will be able to leave the window and backdoor open most of the time, so I shouldn't have to worry to much about the toxins. And I do have plants in there, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment