Tuesday 21 August 2012

July 23, 2008, Multiply, what is a herb 7, Chamomile




My reasons for choosing Chamomile this week is personal
…………..some of you already know I did a very silly thing earlier this week and accidentally burnt my back and shoulders in the sun. It has been very, very sore. I used ‘after sun gel’ given to me by my daughter but it didn’t seem to help. Then I remembered being told that, amongst other things, Chamomile is very good at soothing sunburn and other skin complaints. Well………….what’s that saying? ‘Necessity being the mother of invention’; I don’t grow chamomile and I don’t know anyone who does so I bought myself a box of chamomile ‘tea bags’. These so called Tea Bags are just dried flowers which are exactly what I need for an infusion. So, I made up a pint of ‘tea’ using 4 teabags, 1 pint of boiling water and allowing it to steep for about an hour. Then I left it to go cold and chilled it in the fridge. Since then I have been using a clean piece of cotton dampened in this cooling infusion to lay across my back every couple of hours. And I have to tell you it works. The redness has almost gone and my skin feels soothed and cooled. Unorthodox maybe but effective defiantly.

For more information of little flower I went to the BBC
 This is from the BBC website at
 Camomile tea for aches and ills
Drinking camomile tea can fight a cold and banish menstrual cramps, UK researchers believe!
Five cups a day for a fortnight is enough to boost urine levels of substances that can ease muscle spasms and fight inflammation.
 For years, people have used camomile as an anti-inflammatory, a mild sedative and as an anti-ulcer remedy.
It has also been reported to have anti-oxidant activity and the essential oil extracted from the chamomile flowers has been shown to possess antimicrobial activity.
Drinking tea caused levels of both glycine, which can ease muscle spasms, and the anti-inflammatory hippurate in the urine to go up.
After the volunteers stopped drinking the tea at the end of the two weeks, levels of glycine and hippurate stayed elevated for up to a further two weeks, which suggests the effects may be long-lasting.
Maureen Robertson, from the Scottish School of Herbal Medicine, said camomile worked by removing heat from the body.
"It's a very safe herb to use. It's good for inflammation, particularly of the gastrointestinal tract."
She said the high essential oil content of camomile also made it a good antiseptic.
The Latin name is  Chamaemelum Nobile and as well as having many medical uses it is also used in hair conditioners, hair tonics, facial masks and facial washes. It is know to be very kind to the skin (I can personally testify to that) and useful for people who suffer allergies as it is virtually non allergic.


9 Comments
Add a Comment
   

dianahopeless wrote on Jul 24, '08
Great herbal blog post. TY for sharing. It's kind of funny how we learn about the use of herbs. lol Glad to hear the sunburn is benefiting from the chamomile.

greenwytch wrote on Jul 24, '08
a very useful and pretty herb, i just love it. i hope your back feels better very soon. HUGS and thanks for the nice herby blog.

kathyinozarks wrote on Jul 24, '08
I love chamomile-thanks so much for sharing, I think I have seen chamomile made in ointments too, great blog-thanks for joining us for herb thursdays

forgetmenot525 wrote on Jul 24, '08
Hi Kay, took me a while to get used to the taste but try it with a spoonful of honey..........nice!!

msowens1 wrote on Jul 24, '08
I love a cup of it at night, and although stated to be virtually non allergic, I know that some people who suffer 'hay fever' do not agree with it.... but to use it on sunburn, what a wonderful idea.... glad that it helped you.

brendainmad wrote on Jul 24, '08
It'a also very soothing for the eyes. Camomile is very popular here in Spain.

starfishred wrote on Jul 24, '08
love camomile you can use it for so much good blog

octoberwitch wrote on Jul 23, '08
Im going to try and remember to drink more camomile, i dont really like it though, but I need the benefits.

bennett1 wrote on Jul 23, '08
I have several plants that I pass on my walk that look like chamomile. I want to look at some good pix and perhaps use them. Thank you. (I think our food co-op has dried camomile

No comments:

Post a Comment