Wednesday 17 April 2013

Garden 2013 no 5





Monday 15th April was a rare day of sunshine and I took advantage of this all too brief window.
The shallots I put in last week were virtually unearthed by the heavy rain, they all needed bedding down in the soil again.

I dug over my other small bed and planted out the red onions in neat little rows.
After the onions the garlic went in. Or at least some of it did. I have another whole garlic to split into cloves and plant out individually.
There is a space left at the side of this small bed for my beetroot. I didn’t have time to put the beetroot seeds in because the weather started to turn but that is the next task on the list. Hopefully I’ll not have to wait too long for another window of opportunity. The important thing is that I get these few basic tasks done before heading off to France.
I put some carrot seeds in my big potato barrels late last year and left them to over winter. I wasn’t expecting much because I thought I’d left it too late, and then we had so much awful weather I thought what ever was there would be ruined, but to my surprise, I’ve now got more than a kilo of young sweet and tasty carrots. I intend to replace some of the compost, re-fertilise it and then grow more carrots in the same barrels. I think if I can keep this going, I could get two crops per year.

The ultimate plan is to get the beetroot seeds in, plant the rest of the garlic, prepare the barrels and get some more carrot seed in. Then I’m going to  prepare a couple of the containers. The containers will be used to sow lettuce, radish and salad leaves before I leave, and if all goes according to plan, I’ll come home to fresh salad. I’ll also come home to weeding, grass cutting, tidying, fence painting and all the other routine jobs that badly need doing. Of course on the plus side………….being a retired lady I’ll have the time to do all these little jobs.




9 comments:

  1. sounds like your garden is coming along nicely we are still getting severe storms here and lots of rain-we actually have enough rain for a bit. love how you grew our carrots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get to the point where I can go away and just leave every thing to grow. Our weather hasn't been much better, basically if there is a nice day, no matter what you have planned, you have to change plans and get out in the garden while the weather lasts. The carrot thing wasn't planned, I just decided to do it at the end of last season because the potato barrels were empty and the compost was still good. Now I think that because I try not to eat too many potatoes, maybe these barrels would be better used to grow carrots. Also..........not sure if you remember the misshapen carrots I grew in the soil last year, well that was because I couldn't get rid of all the stones from the ground, growing carrots in barrels with compost and no stones has given me these lovely straight young carrots........so yes this is what I plan to do from now on. :-)

      Delete
  2. Making us jealous again! You should have the weather we've had since Saturday though this weekend there's supposed to be a 10 degree drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda........... we had one day, Monday when the weather was nice enough to do the garden, Tuesday was gale force winds that took my garden gate off and Wednesday was torrential rain that soaked me because I had to go out for hospital appointment that day. Today has not been too bad, but quite cold.

      Delete
  3. Don't you have to worry about watering when you are away?
    I am sure your garden will be great
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan...............I've asked my daughter to water if it gets too dry but we live in Scotland and it rains a lot here, she doesn't think she will need too :-)

      Delete
  4. Never thought of that. Your daughter is good to volunteer.
    I guess you guys do get enough there. I remember when we visited it rained at least 4 days out of the eight we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... only 4?? You must have come in a really good week,

      Delete
  5. I think it was still summer, does that make a difference.

    ReplyDelete