Thursday 25 October 2012

Garden 2012 no 22

Garden 2012 no 21

There’s still stuff to do in the garden before real winter sets in and the ground freezes. Last Sunday I carried out boring routine tasks, I cleared the paved area of weeds and grass and removed the deep rooted weeds from around the fence. I tidied up around the outside of the fence and cut back the over hanging plants. I pulled the last of the spinach and lettuce and threw them in the compost because they were too bitter to eat. 

I’ve collected all the compost and filled up the empty tubs ready for next year, I’ll just have to feed and fertilize before planting. I missed most of the Tay berries and black berries this year because the fruit came when I was recovering from the eye surgery. The branbles were taking over and beginning to wind themselves around the two gooseberry bushes. 

My solution was to replant the gooseberry bushes in pots ready for next year and train the blackberry and Tayberry brambles around the fence where the gooseberries were. I’m hoping for a bumper crop next year because I missed the crop this year. I dug up the carrots; they were the only crop left in the ground. These are the weirdest carrots I’ve ever seen, no idea why they grew like that but the smell when they were dug up and washed was delicious. 

They may look like monster carrots but I think they will taste good.  I’m going to make carrot and coriander soup, that way their poor misshapen bodies will make no difference, as long as they taste good the soup will be good. After digging and bottling the beetroot last week I made beetroot soup using the stock the beetroot were cooked in, some red beetroot stalks, some beetroot leaves, some of my garlic, some of my red onions and some vegetable stock.  It’s a deep red colour and has a satisfying earthy taste. I ate some with home made garlic bread and saved some in the freezer

Next Sunday, weather permitting, I hope to finish off tidying up and tying back the fruit canes, clear the vegetable patch and start digging ready for the winter.

3 comments:

  1. They sure are weird-looking carrots. But if they taste good, that's the main thing. Let us know how the carrot and coriander soup tastes. The beetroot soup sounds quite tasty, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mitch' The beetroot soup was a recipe I found online. I've known for ages that the whole of the beetroot plant is edible, and occasionally I've used the leaves as a substitute for spinach or greens, but this year I decided to try the soup. It was surprisingly good, and the bonus was that I grew the garlic and onions as well. If you grow beetroot, using the leaves and stalks would be worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making some apple butter this weekend and doing some baking because the temps are really going down. Hope Sunday is a good day for you.

    ReplyDelete